Hey all! It’s Saint Patrick’s Day! Hope you all are wearing green and having fun! And, being safe of course! Why not celebrate today with a little treat, some Mudslide Cupcakes! These cupcakes embrace that chocolate coffee flavor and are just amazing, with a little alcohol in them to help you through the day!
With no delay, the recipe!
- 3 eggs, separated and at room temp
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup strong cold coffee
- 3/4 cup Kahlua
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp Kahlua
- 3 Tbsp hot coffee
- 16 Tbsp (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp Bailey’s Irish Cream
- Chocolate for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare your cupcake pan with the desired liners.
- In a standing mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Add granulated sugar to the eggs with the mixer running and continue to whisk, at medium-high speed, until the mixture is thick, stiff, and glossy. Transfer this mixture to another bowl and clean your mixer.
- In the clean mixer bowl, combine butter and brown sugar and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 1 min).
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well in between additions.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, and baking soda.
- With the mixer speed on low, slowly add the flour mixture, coffee, and Kahlua alternately, ending with the flour mixture.
- Stop the mixer, and gently fold in the egg whites until well combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Using a pastry brush, baste cupcakes lightly with Kahlua, not soaking them. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- In the standing mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and powdered sugar on low speed until smooth. LOW SPEED, you don’t want powdered sugar flying everywhere!
- Add the cocoa powder, Kahlua, and coffee. Add more powdered sugar if necessary.
- Put in a pastry bag with no tip on it, don’t cut the bag yet!
- In the standing mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Again, LOW speed!
- Add the extract and Bailey’s Irish Cream, mixing well until combined.
- Put in a pastry bag, same as the Kahlua!
- Slightly flatten out the frosting bags. Cut the tips off (cut them at even points!), and gently slide into another pastry bag. The other pastry bag should have the tip already attached!
- Squeeze until you are getting both flavors swirled.
- Frost the cupcakes!
- Garnish with chocolate shavings or espresso powder.
Eat and enjoy! Remember to drive safe this holiday! PS- we are having a sale in my shop! 10% off your cart on all in stock items! Use the Promo Code “SaintPatsDay” on checkout!
Did you try the recipe? What is your favorite cupcake recipe? How are YOU spending Saint Patrick’s Day? Leave me a comment below!